The Bell

The History of the Rotary Bell

In 1922, U.S. Rotarians organised an attendance contest; the challenge was that the losing clubs would join in giving the winning club a prize.  The Rotary Club of New York City was awarded as a prize a bell from a popular patrol boat, which was placed on wood that came from HMS “Victory”, Admiral Nelson’s vessel at the battle of Trafalgar. 

Since then, the bell used in Rotary meetings started to represent, as on the ships, order, discipline and the time to guide us through the weekly hour and a half meeting.  The bell informs us with its sound the beginning of the Rotary meeting, at which time people present should stand, same as at the end, in order to salute the national a Rotary flags. 

The gavel symbolises the authority invested in the Rotarian elected to the highest position in Rotary, and through him/her reminds those present of his/her authority.  When presidents transmit their positions to their successors at the end of their mandate, they give the bell their last hit turning the gavel over to their successor, symbolising the transfer of authority.

Rotary Gladstone Midday acknowledges the Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia. We pay our respects to Elders past and present.

PO Box 1906, Gladstone Qld 4680
Phone: 0499 021 331
Email: rotary.midday@outlook.com

Copyright ©

Privacy Policy

Another website by The Intentional Branding Company

Scroll to Top